Goldendoodles are the newest craze in puppy-land since 2005. They are a cute mix of golden retriever and poodle; this combination makes for a brilliant and playful dog great for families.
If this is your first puppy, you chose well! They are easy to train and fun to snuggle at the end of the night. With a new puppy comes with a new set of things to keep in mind and look for when taking care of your new Goldendoodle.
How Much Water Should a Goldendoodle Puppy Drink?
How much water should your Goldendoodle puppy be drinking? Every two hours, you should make sure your puppy is drinking about one-half cup of water. As your puppy gets older and is fully weaned off the mother, you will want to make sure your puppy is drinking one ounce of water per body weight every day.
Owning a puppy requires a lot of time, and you must be willing to take care of them the best you can.
Water seems like something minimal to deal with. However, if they do not drink enough water, there could be dire consequences.
As your puppy gets older, you will be able to evaluate how much water they need on their own, and you will be able to pay less attention.
Importance of water in a puppy’s diet
Water may seem like the least important thing to focus on, but in fact, it should be one of the most important things you focus on.
Just like in our bodies, water plays a vital role in healthy functioning dogs’ bodies. It is crucial for your puppy, and even your older dog is drinking plenty of fresh water every day.
Vital elements of water:
• Digestion– Water is one of the main ways a dog can have better digestion. This means they can fully break down their food. They will still be able to break down food without water, but not as well.
• Nutrients– One of the best things about water going through your dog’s system is that it helps carry nutrients to all cells in their bodies. On top of that, they are also able to better absorb the nutrients with the help of water.
• Toxins– Do you ever wonder how dogs can get rid of toxins? The answer is water! One of the best ways to get rid of toxins throughout your dog’s body is water. When your dog is drinking enough, they will be able to remove the toxins through potty time!
• Joints– Water is one of the best ways to lubricate joints. This is especially helpful in older Goldendoodles.
• Temperature– On sweltering days, water is the best way to cool down your puppy. Unlike humans’ dogs don’t sweat. They pant. Fresh water moving throughout their bodies will help regulate their entire body temperature on a warm day.
• Happiness– This will help your dog have a good attitude throughout the day. A grumpy dog who does not get enough water will be more aggressive. It is essential to try to keep your new puppy as happy as possible. This will help grow your bond.
Consequences of not drinking enough water
If your dog is not drinking the appropriate amount of water, it is essential to try to get them to drink a little. Your puppy will become dehydrated if they do not drink enough water. There can be some severe signs to look for.
Signs of dehydration in a puppy:
There are a few signs that can be a giveaway that your puppy may be dehydrated. Some of these can include:
• Nose– A dry nose can be a sign of severe dehydration.
• Mouth– If your dog is panting, has thick visible drool, or has dry gums, it may be a sign you need to get your dog fluids.
• Eating– If your dog isn’t eating like they usually do, it can be a sign, they are not drinking enough.
• Sickness- If your goldendoodle is throwing up or going to the bathroom from diarrhea a lot, they may need to drink more.
• Skin– If your dogs’ skin doesn’t bounce back after lightly pinching it, this could be a bad sign.
If you notice any severe symptoms, it may be best to take your puppy to an emergency vet. If you do not think it is dangerous, there are a few tricks you can do to make your new puppy a little more comfortable.
What to do if you notice they aren’t drinking enough
If you see that your new Goldendoodle isn’t drinking enough, you can do a few things to ensure they will drink more.
The first thing you can do is always fill up a bowl of water, changing it throughout the day. Your goldendoodle should always have access to fresh, clean water; even if you are potty training, they need to have clean water they can easily reach.
Noticing that your goldendoodle may already be dehydrated, you can run to the pet store and pick up some electrolytes to add to your puppies’ water. There are certain things you can ask the store clerks for; they will be able to help you choose the best kind of electrolyte to add in the water.
There will be different brands meant for different breeds or ages, so be very careful when picking out these mixtures to add in the water.
If your puppy has severe symptoms, it is best to call the vet or take them into an emergency clinic. Letting them go dehydrated for an extended period could hurt your puppy.
Other ways to make sure puppies drink enough water
Concerned about your goldendoodle isn’t drinking enough water? Here are some helpful tricks that can sneak some extra water into your pups’ diet.
• Ice- Ice cubes are a fun way to give your dog a “treat” while sneaking them a way to get extra hydration. It could be their new favorite snack!
• Bowls– Some puppies may taste the flavor of certain materials. Experimenting with different containers might benefit you. Your goldendoodle may prefer a ceramic bowl over a metal bowl. It is essential to note which one they prefer; it will help them drink more water.
• Fountains– Dogs are silly creatures, and they all have different personalities. Believe it or not, if you make drinking water fun, a puppy is more likely to stay hydrated. A funny water fountain may promote a water drinking habit in your goldendoodle.
• Food– If your vet says it’s okay, giving your puppy some wet food with their dry food can help them receive extra hydrating benefits. You will want to make sure you get the right kind of wet food that supports what your goal is.
Sneaking your puppy new ways to stay hydrated involves some experimenting.
Each dog has their own needs and wants, so it’s essential to observe what works best and what doesn’t. It is also crucial not to force your puppy to do anything. If you notice anything wrong and none of these tricks work, you will want to talk to a professional.
Goldendoodles are one of the sweetest breeds out there. They are extremely good with kids and other dogs making them the perfect family dog.
These puppies are intelligent and easy to train; they will need a lot of exercises and a great yard to play in. As long as you take care of these puppies to the best of your abilities, they will love you for life.
Owning a puppy is a huge responsibility; their diets and water habits are incredibly important to consider.
You should always make sure your Goldendoodle has plenty of ways to stay hydrated and call the vet if you notice any signs of dehydration.